Sunday 18 November 2012

Bit by a dog...


Simon asked me ages ago if I'd like to design a kind of poster for one of his short films. And so, as a result of productive procrastination to avoid death by assignment, I've finally got round to playing about with some ideas.
The film is about addiction, so I started by thinking about being attached and unable to escape.  (For a glance at the teaser trailer click here...)  
Was hung up on drawing a dog for quite some time due to the title.. But finally settled on a belt as the main object which I figure has dog lead connotations, as well as functional associations with heroin use.  The belt is in a snake shape, as though loosely discarded after use, to link in with ideas I had about being hypnotised through drug use, with smoky swirly patterns in the design...  And I've tried to blend a subtle snake head onto the end of the belt to hint at the grand biblical ideas of temptation, deceit and evil, which all seem relevant to the film.  Backgrounds vary between carpet, snakeskin and smoke... My current favourite is the carpet and snakeskin blend on top right, but this may change depending on what Simon says...

1 comment: